Saturday, January 19, 2013

Lessons Learned

It's hard to believe we've only been here 11 days! Time passes so slowly here. We have had many eventful days, but we also have a lot of down time, to which I am not accustomed. Before I came to India, I had two jobs, so I am used to being really busy. The woman who runs the orphanage treats us more like guests than helpers.  I wish I was given more things to do here! Oh well. I love being here. I love helping out where I can, and I love spending time and loving on the girls, but... being still, as painful as it is, is good for me, I think. Since I am used to constantly running around, it is nice to sit and relax, at least for a time. Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God." Not the easiest verse for me.

Being here makes me realize how much I love America. I never thought I would say those words, but it's true. I used to hate living in America. Mostly in Kansas City. KC has no mountains, no beach, no oceans, nothing. Not even big waterfalls. I love nature and I love adventure, so living in Kansas City is really hard for me. I get too restless! But I do miss my home. I miss all the things I took for granted. Even things like coffee shops, fried chicken, bookstores, pizza, and how clean everything is. I miss the people too. I am SO thankful for the time I get to spend here, but being here has also made me appreciate my life in the US. Although, I think, no matter where I go, I will always be a bit restless. As C.S. Lewis says, "Not all who wander are lost." :)

1 comment:

  1. Trips like this end up having much further reaching effects on every area of our hearts and lives than just fulfilling our original intentions of being the one who gives and serves. You guys will find the little places where you can fill in and help and be used. But I am sure God is just as excited about what is happening between you and Him and how you are being affected by your experiences and surroundings as he is about the wonderful things you are bringing to the girls and the sisters and even the people in the community around you there that you don't even realize you are blessing. :) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete