Monday, January 14, 2013

Happy Pongal!

Today is Pongal, the Indian new year and celebration of good harvest and plenty! We were up at 6am singing songs of thanksgiving and cooking rice over a fire outside. The girls had already been up for a while and had decorated the ground in front of the childrens' home.





After the rice was finished cooking, a few of the girls decorated the pots and set them up inside, where we had a special Pongal mass a few minutes later.

For breakfast we ate the Pongal rice and the sweet rice that had been cooking over the fire outside. After the rice we had a special treat: bananas and sugar cane!

After breakfast we played games and then had a lesson in doing laundry the Indian way. I thought we were pretty good at it, but the girls kept taking the clothes and doing it for us, so I think we weren't as good as I thought. ;)

I'm starting to have a ton of fun with the girls! They are growing more open towards us everyday and I've had fun playing and joking around with them. They've even given us a few lessons in Tamil! I can now name my ears, eyes, nose, mouth, lips, and stomach, and wish everyone "Good morning!" and "Happy Pongal!" For some reason the girls thought those were the most important things to learn. ;)
Everything is going well so far! Thank you so much for praying for us! Happy Pongal!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment