Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dive In

When we went to Kerela, we got to go to the beach. It was so wonderful! Allie and I both ran to the ocean and played in the water. We were in skirts and t-shirts, so we couldn't get TOO wet, even though we really wanted to. We both wished we were wearing swimsuits, however, what is modest in America, is not modest here. Swimsuits aren't modest, so all the women at the beach were in their punjabis: a t-shirt dress and loose pants) and most of the men weren't getting in the water either. There were a few guys who were taking off their shirts and getting in the water. Almost everyone was just standing at the shoreline, but not getting in the water. And that's how it is a lot of times with Christians and their relationship with the Lord. They are Christians but don't know Jesus personally. They go to church but have never experienced Jesus. They talk about God and say they follow Him. But they don't love Him like the Father and friend He is. They don't dive in. They stand on the shore and say, "Wow isn't the Lord powerful. God is good. He is beautiful." But they don't know him. They don't know what it feels like to be washed in His love, to be knocked over by His power, to be refreshed by His grace. They don't dive in. And that makes me very sad. I have been reading "Beautiful Outlaw" by John Eldredge, and I am reading the chapter that talks about "clearing away the religious fog." He says, "Members [of the church] can explain to you theories of the atonement, or seven steps to success, but can't name one intimate encounter they've had with Jesus. Not once in their lives have they heard him speak to them. I've met with heads of Christian education departments, chaplains, and seminary faculty who by their own admission don't know Jesus personally. You can talk about sunshine and live your life underground; you can even go to the sea, but never dive in." I've never liked religiosity, and have striven for a relationship with the Lord. I have stories of His grace and have experienced His love. I hope you have too. There are so many people who are  so busy reading a certain number of verses in the Bible, listening to this many sermons, volunteering at their church, but miss relationship with the Lord.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 Though i speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become a sounding brass or clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my good to feed  the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment